Skip to main content

How to sort and store your photos

When I first began to scrapbook, I found the biggest barrier was myself. I would look at the mountains of photos and just freeze. I would never get through all of that. I don't have the time. I just did not know where to begin. After a decade of working with photos, scrapbooking and helping others; I think I've found a good way to get over that barrier. The first step is to tackle that mountain - one step at a time!

This process will not be accomplished in one day. Set aside a place where you can spread out and work for several (or maybe even many) days.

Step 1 - In order to organize the photos, I highly recommend the Power Sort System by Creative Memories. I've used it for years and it really saved me! The one I have holds 2400 photos, the newer ones are half that size but just as amazing. So the first step to successfully tackling sorting your photos is to purchase a Power Sort System. This incredible system allows you to sort AND store your photos in an organized and photo safe environment.

Please note that plastic containers, old shoe boxes and baggies are NOT photo safe environments. It is very important that you store your photos in a photo safe environment so that they are not being exposed to destructive elements. Most scrappers (another name for those that create photo albums) would never consider putting something questionable on a layout next to their photos. Yet, they are okay with storing them in a questionable container. The same chemicals that can leach out of an unsafe embellishment and destroy your photo can also leach out of the container and destroy ALL of the photos stored there. This is so important. It would be devastating to have photos stored for years, finally get the time to scrap them, and then lose them later to chemicals that you weren't even aware of being present.

Step 1  is to purchase a photo organizing system. Simple, right? Click on the link above to see what I'm talking about. This is the best way I know to get this barrier under control. Purchasing a photo safe and reliable system is the BEST way to get started.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I would be glad to help any way I can.

I'll post Step 2 tomorrow.

Thank you!
Tammey

Owner ScrapbookingClasses Group
Photographer
Scrapbooker for over a decade now

www.scrapwithme.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeds of Doubt

I am not a gardener. When I decided to plant a garden I had to research what plants would grow well in this area and where to buy them. I had a goal of having a beautiful garden, so I put a lot of time into research, digging up and clearing the land and buying the right seeds. Imagine this beautiful space with a bright, white trellace for lush, green snap peas to climb! Then there are the delicious, bright red strawberries dangling just within reach! The lovely stalks of corn with their silky tops reaching to the sky and the potatoes, carrots and zuchini filling the ground. OH!!! I loved my garden! I did as I'd read and went into the garden and watered it and pulled the weeds. I'd done my research, I knew what to do!

My friends and family would come over and we would sit in the sunshine and enjoy the fruits of my labor. They marveled at my lovely garden and ate of the fruits. Then my mom came over. She IS an amazing gardener! She can get anything to grow! Even things that shou…

FALL - Take the time to get in the memories

I love FALL!!!

It is my favorite season. The colors are stunning, the weather is usually that perfect mix of warm days and cooler nights and I get to wear sweaters. I love sweaters! Big, fuzzy, warm sweaters! And coffee. Oh yea!!

Fall is also my favorite time to get out and take pictures! There are so many reasons to get pics of your kids, family, extended family, yard, community, favorite spot, furkids, grandparents.... oh I could go on!

Grab your camera and go! Capture your day!

Things to do in the Fall:

Sunrise and sunset are always amazing, but in the Fall they are extra amazing! Late afternoon will give you longer shadows which will really add character and depth to your photos. Is it cloudy or overcast? That's ok, head out anyway! Get close to your subjects. That's the great thing about digital, you aren't out any film!  Just delete the pics you don't like, but have a great time taking them! Make a mirror reflection photo! Find a calm, clear lake with trees around…

Boulders or pebbles?

I woke up this morning with this beautiful analogy in my thoughts. I'm a mountain girl. I grew up around Missoula, MT and absolutely love the area. One of my favorite things was to walk in the streams (or brooks/creeks) and look at the pretty rocks. I learned pretty quickly though that the beautiful rocks in the water changed drastically once dry and to just leave them where they were. Plus, my mom didn't much appreciate me having piles of rocks in my room.

Today it came to me that our lives are like a stream. Everything we experience is like the bed of the stream. The boulders in the middle are the big events in our lives. They are obvious and are usually sticking out of the water. They don't really alter the direction of the stream and if they aren't too big, then the water can actually run over them and keep going. Some are much too large for that and the water is divided and forced to go around the barrier, sometimes causing us to get stuck at it and sometimes just…