Skip to main content

Journaling

Journaling is NOT writing a book. It is not documenting every breath, everything they said, everything they did, everywhere they went or everyone they came in contact with. That is just way too much! If you want to do it, more power to you! However, most people just don't have the time.

If you can add three 2-page layouts a year to their album, I think you're doing great! If they are a summer baby, make sure you do birthday, first or last day of school and Christmas. That way you are getting a really good picture of their year. Three layouts a year! I KNOW you can do it!

Format:
Title (usually the event, for example 3rd Birthday, Jakie turns 2 or 1st Day of School)
Photos (1-6 a page)
Journaling (take the time to write a little paragraph or two about the event as the events don't mean much if 50 years down the road no one knows what/when or who was at the event)

That's it. That is the formula for a great layout. Everything else is just frosting.

Title + Photos + Journaling = Captured Memory

Yes, it IS as simple as that! The layout does not have to be ultra fantastic. Even advanced scrappers don't achieve that every time, or even try to. The important part is the preserving the memory. If after that you want to add the fun stuff, go for it. You can use the same formula for digital scrapbooking. I have a quick kit that shows you how to get two full layouts with minimal paper waste, feel free to use it.


(IF YOU SHARE, PLEASE CREDIT ME BACK :) THANKS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family

I just spent a lovely day with my beautiful daughter and her 90 year old grandmother in law. This amazing woman is one of the kindest and most sincere people I know. She is gentle and caring and loved being the center of attention today. I'm home now and contemplating the wisdom she has obtained over her life. Ninety is quite the accomplishment. I find myself wanting to spend time with her and learn from her.

My own grandmothers are gone and neither were very good at sharing or discussing much other than the weather or maybe their garden. I would love to sit with them and hear their childhood stories, what brought them joy and what wisdom they would like to leave for future generations. It's not possible though.

They didn't leave a diary or journal of any kind. They didn't talk much and both died fairly young. Social media has done a lot of good in that people can communicate quicker and share more. It has also reduced the art of communication to smiley faces and heart…

Seeds of Doubt

I am not a gardener. When I decided to plant a garden I had to research what plants would grow well in this area and where to buy them. I had a goal of having a beautiful garden, so I put a lot of time into research, digging up and clearing the land and buying the right seeds. Imagine this beautiful space with a bright, white trellace for lush, green snap peas to climb! Then there are the delicious, bright red strawberries dangling just within reach! The lovely stalks of corn with their silky tops reaching to the sky and the potatoes, carrots and zuchini filling the ground. OH!!! I loved my garden! I did as I'd read and went into the garden and watered it and pulled the weeds. I'd done my research, I knew what to do!

My friends and family would come over and we would sit in the sunshine and enjoy the fruits of my labor. They marveled at my lovely garden and ate of the fruits. Then my mom came over. She IS an amazing gardener! She can get anything to grow! Even things that shou…

FALL - Take the time to get in the memories

I love FALL!!!

It is my favorite season. The colors are stunning, the weather is usually that perfect mix of warm days and cooler nights and I get to wear sweaters. I love sweaters! Big, fuzzy, warm sweaters! And coffee. Oh yea!!

Fall is also my favorite time to get out and take pictures! There are so many reasons to get pics of your kids, family, extended family, yard, community, favorite spot, furkids, grandparents.... oh I could go on!

Grab your camera and go! Capture your day!

Things to do in the Fall:

Sunrise and sunset are always amazing, but in the Fall they are extra amazing! Late afternoon will give you longer shadows which will really add character and depth to your photos. Is it cloudy or overcast? That's ok, head out anyway! Get close to your subjects. That's the great thing about digital, you aren't out any film!  Just delete the pics you don't like, but have a great time taking them! Make a mirror reflection photo! Find a calm, clear lake with trees around…